Hello Everyone! Welcome to my blog! If you’ve hopped on over from the Link up I am so glad to have you here!! I hope my blog inspires you to follow me along for some fashion and style fun. This post I decided to get a little personal and share my precious family with you all. We recently took family pictures for my daughter, Camille first birthday and of course, the occasion had to be properly photographed and documented! The energy placed into family pictures is unreal. From outfit planning, to props, time of day, the best photographer and in our case, nap time is crucial!!
Therefore, I decided to put together a little post on “How to take ‘Perfect’ Family Photos.” Let’s face it, when you imagine taking family pictures, you picture: perfect weather, a beautiful setting, and smiles from everyone. But, that is not always the case, especially when you have a little one! Camille did pretty well in terms of no melt down or tears, but keeping her attention was hard. With having a child, you quickly learn to just adapt to the situation and make the most of it. We still got gorgeous shots that were candid, true to our personalities and not perfectly posed. Which prompted me to write this post. Great family pictures are about capturing true moments that are real and timeless. It’s about showing the love within the family and having a little fun.
So here are my personal tips on taking “perfect” photos:
1) choose an amazing photographer: having someone who is patient, does quality work and customer service is key! We definitely trusted our photographer opinion which helped a ton. I would also suggest to ask about their turn around time so that you have your images back within your timeframe. You may want to ask about having rights to the pictures so you can print as you please too!
2) choose comfortable clothing that coordinates with everyone: this makes the process of taking pictures a lot easier if everyone is comfortable with what they’re wearing. For our pictures, I knew in this Texas heat that keeping cool would be super important. So we shot at 8am and made sure to wear breathable, cool clothing that we wouldn’t be super hot in. It definitely helped! Our outfits for the pictures was built around Camille’s blush pink tulle skirt. I wore a tulle maxi skirt that complimented Camille’s outfit as well and it was super light so I felt comfortable. I brought a pair of pumps as well, why? I have no clue. The gold sandals worked out perfectly for the type of ground we were walking on. So always keep in mind the theme of your pictures, location, weather and time of your shoot to make sure everyone is comfortable as possible.
3) location, location, location!!: I would suggest telling your photographer the look and feel you are going for. They can recommend good locations to shoot that you may love. I definitely felt that our location added beauty to the pictures and suited the theme perfectly.
4) Be yourself!: as a fashion blogger, I am quite use to being in front of the camera. There are always different shots you are trying to achieve for your blog. But, doing a family photo shoot was such a relief. We just interacted as a family naturally and let our photographer capture those moments. I preferred this than a bunch of “posed” studio shots. You can clearly see Camille is doing her own thing in her pictures while mommy and daddy are laughing and smiling at her. Thats us in every day life with Camille. The pictures capture that and I love it! It’s not about perfection in pictures, its about having someone document the beautiful moments in your life that you can reflect on. Camille did get quite excited when her daddy gave her his wallet, uh oh!!
5) embrace the moment- the “perfect” family photo has already been achieved! Gathering as a unit is as perfect as it gets. Embrace those moments! Be in the moment! Let whatever happens, happen! As you can see, Camille’s smash cake toppled over into the shoot. I could’ve dwelled on that, but I figured it makes for great pictures and we can always look back and laugh on how everything does not go as planned. That is perfectly ok! Her smile and reaction was priceless and those are the moments I cherish.
I hope this post has inspired you! In having a child, I try to be in the moment and not take time for granted. I hope you take that away with you and enjoy your family pictures for years to come!
I will do a separate post on my outfit very soon. So stay tuned!!
Be sure to check out the link up below and enjoy other fabulous bloggers as well! Thanks for stopping by!!
Photo Credit: Stephanie Drenka
Camille’s Outfit Details: tulle skirt- Whimsy Luxxe Tulle “One” onesie- Bespoked Co. Sequin Shorts- Baby Squishy Cheeks Crown headband- HAPPYBUBKIN Mint and Gold Glitter Headband –The Posh Society Let Them Eat Cake tank- (custom order) Moon Pie Design
My Outfit: Top- ASOS Skirt-Morning Lavender Shoes-BCBGeneration Bracelets-H.M. Willow Earrings- (old) but love these!